In this post: A cranberry icebox cake recipe that is the perfect, make-ahead dessert for the holiday season. Easy to serve, festive, and pretty!
Ready or not, Christmas is coming! I can’t believe this year has gone so quickly, but here we are almost at the end. I had a couple of reader requests for a Christmas icebox cake, so this Cranberry Icebox Cake is what I came up with. It’s quite delicious and the cranberry layer has a fresh, tangy taste. My only disappointment was that I was hoping it would be a darker red. That slight issue can be remedied with a drop or two of red food coloring added to the cranberry layer.
The basic recipe for icebox cake filling is the combination of cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk, and Cool Whip. I normally use Cool Whip Lite, but any kind will work. The fourth ingredient adds the “flavor.” I have found that juice concentrate and pudding works the best, but anything that adds flavor can be used.
Dressing up an icebox cake is easy and adds a little whimsy. For this cranberry icebox cake, cranberries and mint add a pretty, more formal look. On each piece of cake before serving, place three cranberries like flower petals and use the mint for the leaves. For a fun and more casual presentation, simply garnish with Christmas sprinkles. The sprinkles would be a popular choice if there are going to be kids around!
The best thing about icebox cakes is that you can make them ahead of time. In fact, they really need to sit in the refrigerator overnight to set up and cut well.
Cranberry Icebox Cake Recipe Tips:
- Before cutting, run your knife under very hot water. The warm knife will cut the icebox cake much easier and there won’t be any ragged edges. The first piece is sometimes hard to get out of the pan. Save that one for yourself!
- I’ve been asked many times if real whipped cream can be substituted for the Cool Whip. If you are planning on making and eating your cake within hours of each other, I think the whipped cream will work. However, it won’t hold up overnight.
Affiliate links included. Click HERE for my disclosure statement.
- My favorite Goldtouch baking pans
- Christmas sprinkles
- Lenox Holiday china place setting
- Lenox Holiday dessert/salad plate
- Gold/Stainless flatware
For other icebox cake recipes click the image below!