Welcome to February and the new fresh flavor of the month…Orange. I know I’m a few days late but I had a hard time deciding. In the end I went with another citrus because I enjoyed the lemons of January so much. I have a variety of recipes to share including a main dish, of course some desserts and today’s recipe, Orange Banana Breakfast Cookies.
These are a healthy and hearty small cookie…so there’s no need to feel guilty if you have two! They may be little but they are packed full of nutty flavor. I used pecans because I had them in the freezer. I had toasted them before Christmas but didn’t use them all. The texture from the nuts is perfect with the fruit.
The only thing I didn’t have on hand was the whole wheat flour and the oranges. I bought a bag of Cara Cara oranges, which I had never heard of. They are from Sunkist and oh so good. Juicy and very sweet. The color looks almost like a grapefruit but they are definitely the taste of an orange.
- 1 c. all purpose flour
- 1 c. whole wheat flour
- 1/2 t. salt (omit if you use salted butter)
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1 t. baking soda
- 3/4 c. softened butter
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 banana
- 1 T. fresh orange zest
- 1/4 – 1/2 c. chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flours, salt, cinnamon and soda.
- In the bowl to a stand up mixer cream together the butter and sugars until fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the egg, vanilla, orange zest and banana (chunk into pieces before adding.)
- In one batch, add the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Fold in nuts.
- Using a small cookie scooper, drop rounds of dough onto parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake 10 – 12 minutes until edges are lightly golden brown.
- Cool on cooling racks.
The original recipe (I’m sorry but I have no idea where it came from) called for 1/4 c. old fashioned oats. If you wanted to add those just leave out 1/4 c. of one of the flours.
My new blog design is working great. I want to thank Gwen, from This Bold Girl, once again for helping me make this dream come true. I knew what I wanted in my head but trying to get that idea conveyed to someone else could have been challenging. With Gwen, it was a piece of cake. Honestly, sometimes it was like she read my mind. This is a blog I can grow with and be proud of.
Enjoy your day…