Dutch Oven Beef Stew Recipe
Super easy, hearty, and delicious dutch oven beef stew recipe that feeds a family with plenty of leftovers. Very basic ingredients and minimal prep.
One of the most challenging things about having your family home for the holidays, at least for me, is feeding them. I love having everyone here, and I so want to make delicious meals for them. In order to do that, and still keep my sanity, I make dishes that are relatively easy and feed an army. This oven roasted beef stew recipe is both of those things.
I recently spent some time visiting my daughter-in-law’s parents, helping out with our grandchildren. The day I arrived, I walked in their home, and the most delicious aroma was coming out of the kitchen. Turns out there was beef stew slowly cooking in the oven. It was such a lovely way to be welcomed, and dinner that night was delicious. When I asked for the recipe, I was surprised to find out it revolved around McCormick’s Beef Stew seasoning mix!
This is a one pot meal that’s super simple to put together. The seasoning mix adds just the right amount of flavor, and as it cooks, it makes a delicious broth.
Dutch Oven Beef Stew Tips
- This is the perfect meal for busy days, or when you have guests, and you want to get dinner prep out of the way early in the afternoon. At meal time, all that’s required is literally taking the beef stew out of the oven.
- Any vegetables can be used depending on your family’s tastes, but don’t skip the onion.
- If you like a stew with lots of broth, use less vegetables. If you like a nice, thick stew, use a total of 6 – 7 cups of veggies.
- I forgot to include the carrots in the image above, but I added them before the stew went in the oven!
- I’m sure this can be made in a Crock-pot, but I have not tried it. My best guess is that it would need to cook on low for at least 8 hours.
*Affiliate links included. Click HERE for my disclosure statement.
Kyocera chef’s knife | chop and scoop cutting board | 5.5 quart dutch oven | McCormick’s Beef Stew Packet
Dutch Oven Beef Stew Recipe
- 2 lbs. beef stew meat or chuck roast (cut up)
- 1 - 1.5 cups chopped celery
- 1 - 1.5 cups chopped and peeled sweet potato
- 1 - 1.5 cups mini carrots
- 2 cups chopped potatoes
- 1 medium onion cut into 8 pieces
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 3 cups water
- 1 packet McCormick's Beef Stew Seasoning Packet
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Prepare the celery, sweet potato, carrots, potatoes, and onion.
- Put vegetables in a 5.5 to 6 quart dutch oven.
- If using a chuck roast, cut it in 1 inch cubes.
- Place stew meat or chuck roast cubes in a large bowl.
- Cover with 1/4 cup flour and toss until meat is completely covered.
- Place meat over vegetables in dutch oven. Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Mix together 3 cups water with the McCormick's packet, whisking until combined.
- Pour water/packet mixture over meat and vegetables in dutch oven.
- Cover dutch oven and bake at 300 degrees F for 4 hours.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 15 minutes before removing cover.
- Mix together before serving.
Like I mentioned above, the best thing about this oven roasted beef stew recipe, besides the taste, is that it fills your home with the most amazing aroma. This hearty and filling comfort food is perfect for feeding your family over the holidays…or any time!
More easy one pot meals!