I know what you’re thinking. What could be better than pumpkin pie? Well…this layered pumpkin dessert with yellow cake mix is easier and in my opinion, better than a piece of pie!
An Easy Layered Pumpkin Dessert
Six ingredients and just a few minutes is all you need to mix up this layered pumpkin dessert and put it in the oven. One of the reasons this pumpkin dessert so quick is because it calls for a yellow cake mix. It’s delicious served warm with whipped cream, ice cream, or my Brown Sugar Whipped Topping. It can be refrigerated for up to three days and can be made ahead if need be. Be careful though, because you might find it gone if you make it too soon!
Layered Pumpkin Dessert with Yellow Cake Mix
- 1 large (30 oz.) can Libby's Easy Pumpkin Pie Mix
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 stick butter softened
- 1 cup walnuts or more
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat pumpkin pie mix, evaporated milk and eggs until well mixed.
- Pour into greased 9 x 13 pan or two 8 x 8 pans.
- Combine butter and cake mix. Use a fork or your fingers to make sure all the butter is incorporated into the cake mix.
- Sprinkle the cake mix/butter mixture on top of the pumpkin mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle walnuts on top of cake mix.
- Bake for 30 minutes longer.
- The top should be a golden brown and your walnuts will be roasted.
- Serve with whipped cream, ice cream, or brown sugar whipped topping.
Layered Pumpkin Dessert with Yellow Cake Mix: A few tips
- If made ahead and refrigerated: warm for a few seconds in the microwave and it tastes like it just came out of the oven.
- I didn’t use all of the cake mix. There was probably about 1/2 c. left in the bowl when I decided there was enough!
- A little bit of this goes a long way because it’s rich and filling. Small pieces can be served which means you can feed a crowd.
Versions of this dessert have been roaming around Pinterest for a long time. I think there’s one that calls for pouring melted butter over the cake mix. I don’t know if I could bring myself to do that. In this version the topping is more like a streusel and the walnuts were my idea. I think they add the finishing touch.
I’m not sure I’ll ever make a pumpkin pie again. Let’s be honest…Thanksgiving is a lot of work. There is planning and preparation, time spent in the kitchen on your feet. Why not try something that might lighten the work load?
More Pumpkin Dessert Ideas
Here are a few more pumpkin dessert ideas…for Thanksgiving or anytime!
*Affiliate links included. Click HERE for my disclosure statement.
Shop the post:
If you are wondering about Libby’s Pumpkin Pie Mix, it’s at your grocery on the shelf with the regular cans of pumpkin. It’s clearly labeled “Pumpkin Pie Mix.”
Thanks very much for stopping by…see you soon!