You can assemble this layered pumpkin dessert with yellow cake mix in just a few minutes. It’s the perfect Thanksgiving dessert idea!
An Easy Layered Pumpkin Dessert
All you need is a few minutes to mix up this layered pumpkin dessert and put it in the oven. One of the reasons this pumpkin dessert is so quick is because it calls for a yellow cake mix. It’s delicious served warm with whipped cream, ice cream, or my Brown Sugar Whipped Topping. It can be refrigerated for up to three days, and can be made ahead if need be. Be careful though, because you might find it gone if you make it too soon! This layered pumpkin dessert is perfect for Thanksgiving Day. It’s so easy, and my family all agrees that it tastes better than pumpkin pie!
Layered Pumpkin Dessert with Yellow Cake Mix: A few tips
- If made ahead and refrigerated: warm for a few seconds in the microwave and it tastes like it just came out of the oven.
- I didn’t use all of the cake mix. There was probably about 1/2 c. left in the bowl when I decided there was enough!
- A little bit of this goes a long way because it’s rich and filling. Small pieces can be served which means you can feed a crowd.
- Can I substitute the eggs in this recipe? Yes, plain yogurt would be a good substitute for the eggs. Just swap out each egg with 1/4 c. plain yogurt.
- I heard from a reader who said that she used the large can of pumpkin, but kept the other ingredients the same. She said it was delicious!
Versions of this dessert have been roaming around Pinterest for a long time. I think there’s one that calls for pouring melted butter over the cake mix. I don’t know if I could bring myself to do that. In this version the topping is more like a streusel and the walnuts were my idea. I think they add the finishing touch.
I’m not sure I’ll ever make a pumpkin pie again. Let’s be honest…Thanksgiving is a lot of work. There is planning and preparation, and a ton of time spent in the kitchen on your feet. Why not try something that might lighten the work load?
Layered Pumpkin Dessert with Yellow Cake Mix
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
- 1 12 oz. can evaporated milk
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter softened (1 stick)
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, sugar, and eggs until well mixed.
- Add pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon. Mix again until well blended.
- Pour into greased 9 x 13 pan or two 8 x 8 pans.
- Combine butter and cake mix. Use a fork or your fingers to make sure all the butter is incorporated into the cake mix.
- Sprinkle the cake mix/butter mixture on top of the pumpkin mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle walnuts on top of cake mix.
- Bake for 30 - 40 minutes longer.
- The top should be a golden brown and your walnuts will be roasted. A knife inserted in the middle should come out clean.
- Serve with whipped cream, ice cream, or brown sugar whipped topping.
- Store in refrigerator. Keeps for up to 3 days.
More Pumpkin Dessert Ideas
Here are a few more pumpkin dessert ideas…for Thanksgiving or anytime!
*Affiliate links included. Click HERE for my disclosure statement.
Shop the post:
Thanks very much for stopping by…see you soon!