Fresh Fall Finds | Planning Ahead
Fresh Fall Finds | Planning Ahead
Tips for planning your seasonal decor
along with shopping sources
Last year when I was sharing my fall and Christmas decor, I had quite a few people (OK…a lot of people) write to say they wished I had started earlier. You all were two steps ahead of me….so I made up my mind that this year I would beat you all to the punch! I hope to have all my Fall decor posted by the end of August and I already have a Fall Home Tour scheduled for mid September. That will give me plenty of time to share recipes & other goodies in October and then I’ll dive in to Christmas. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves! First things first.
I have found, and I’m sure that most of you will agree, that making a plan before starting something is a good idea. That’s how I approach decorating for the seasons. Let’s get started.
Easy steps for making a seasonal decor plan:
- Choose an item to use as your jumping-off point. It can be a set of pillows, a throw, a seasonal wreath, a framed print, or even a flower arrangement. Use the colors in your inspiration piece for the rest of your decor.
- Once you have your inspiration piece, shop your house. See what you already have that can be used again…or repurposed into something completely new.
- Decide which spaces will be included. I always decorate my porch, entry, living room, and dining room. This decision will most likely depend on how many accessories you have. If you have just a few things, start with one or two spaces.
- If budget allows, add something new. It’s always nice to freshen seasonal decor each year. If your wreath is old, add a new bow. Purchase a set of new pillows or a festive throw. Since it’s fall, treat yourself to pots of mums or bouquets of sunflowers.
Links for inspiration:
- Free Fall Printables – The Complete Collection
- DIY Stenciled Pillow Cover
- Circle of Pumpkins Wreath
- Fall Floral Alphabet Printables (for DIY wall art & banner making)
To help you visualize how to do this, here’s my Fresh Fall Finds decorating plan…links to all items are at the end of the post.
*Some links lead to shops or websites where I am an affiliate. Click HERE for my full disclosure statement.
Plaid throw | Tree pillow | Boxwood wreath | Gold throw | Cotton boll trees | Set of black lanterns | Pumpkin spice pillow
- My inspiration piece is this amazing plaid throw. The colors are perfect.
- I am also adding the tree pillow, cotton boll trees, and some new lanterns for the porch.
- I’m reusing my boxwood wreath for the front door. Stay tuned for how I’m breathing some new life into it!
- The gold throw and pumpkin spice pillow are still up in the air but I have a few ideas.
- I want to use sunflowers, velvet pumpkins, dried hydrangeas, and a set of gold velvet pillows that I already have.
- I always start with the porch and work my way through our house. Don’t try to do everything all at once…spread it out and enjoy the process.
- If your budget is tight, shop sales. (That’s why it pays to plan ahead.) Craft stores like Hobby Lobby are already running sales on their new fall stock.
- Sometimes less is more. Don’t feel like you have to decorate every square inch of your space. This is our mantra: “Add and then edit.”
I know there is a lot of summer left to enjoy…and I’m not trying to take away from that. Planning ahead, and having a plan, makes the actual process of decorating for the seasons so much easier. I like to think about things for a while before I start making decisions and I bet some of you do too. So start thinking fresh fall finds, do a little shopping, maybe even fit in some sewing or crafting. Most of all, enjoy and have fun!
Thanks for stopping by…